|Madawaska Historical Society
History of the Madawaska Territory
Part 7. Place Names
|Old Place Name Map of the Upper St. John River Valley.
Based on a map by Walter Fournier, Sinclair Maine.
Allagash: from Wallegoseoegwam, a Maliseet word meaning “Bark Cabin”, probably indicitive of a hunting camp; or,
possibly meaning “north flowing water”.
Aroostook: “Beautiful or shining river”, from w’alustuk, the Maliseet name for the St. John River. The Maliseet called
themselves the W'olastiquiyik, meaning “the people of the shining river”.
Audibert Brook: named after Willette Audibert, who had a farm there.
Beaulieu Brook: for Benoit Beaulieu, who owned a farm there.
Belanger Settlement: named after first settler Antoine Belanger.
Bossy Mountain: named after Jim Bosse.
Brise cullotte Lake/road: French name meaning “broken pants”. The story is that the men who worked the lumbering in
that area often came out at the end of the season with their pants in tatters.
Buggy Brook: named after Edward “buggy” Michaud, and for the swarms of bugs that inhabited the area in the summer.
Buffalo: Named for the men who lived in the area who let their hair and beards get shaggy in the winter. OR, named after a
troop of soldiers marching to Fort kent during the Aroostook war who were from Buffalo NY.
Carriveau Mill: For the Corriveau family, owners.
Connors Brook: For John Connors, logger.
Cross Lake: The Natives named it “Nentinagamick”, meaning Cross Lake. Named because one had to cross a projection
of land to get to it from the St. Francis River, and/or because one had to cross this lake to get from Mud Lake to Square
Cyr Mountain: Named for Maxime Cyr.
Daigle Brook: In Grand Isle, for Joseph Daigle. In New Canada, for Vital Daigle. In Fort Kent, for an unknown Daigle.
Debouillie Mountain: Acadian “the bowl”, or named after a logger named Debouillie?
Dickey Brook: for William Dickey
Dionne Corner: for Eloie and Joseph Dionne
Dubay Point: for Clement Dubay
Eagle Lake: Named by Major Hastings Strickland in 1839 on his way to Fort Kent, for eagles seen there. The Maliseets
called it “Quesawaimuique”, ‘Place of Maple Trees’.
Fall Brook: Was called “Madawecopawiak” by the Maliseets, for the “waterfall at the mouth of the river”.
Factory Brook: Named for the starch factory there owned by Michael Michaud.
Fish River: Named after Ira Fish, early 1800’s explorer. The Maliseet called it Unquillops, meaning ??
Five Mile Brook: Brook which enters Big Black River 5 miles from where the Big Black River enters the St. John River.
Fort Kent: Named for Maine Govenor Edward Kent. The Americans built a Fort there at the mouth of the Fish River during
the Aroostook War against England/Canada.
Frenchville: named for its large French population.
Gagnon Brook: Named for Hippolyte Gagnon, who owned a lumbermill there.
Gagnon Hill: named after Horace and Donat Gagnon.
Germain Lake: Named after Germain Soucy
Gilbert Brook: Either named after Edward Gilbert or Zeno Jalbert.
Glazier Lake: Named after the Glazier family of loggers.
Grand Isle: Named for the large island in the St. John River.
Joe Dubay Brook: For Joe Dubay, Logger.
Kelly Brook/Mountain: In St. Francis for James Kelly, in Allagash for the Kelly Family.
Ketch Pond: For Joseph Ketchum
Labbe: For Mill on Fish River owned by George Labbe.
Labbe Pond: for George Labbe.
Lagasse Brook: For G. F. and R. Lagasse, Acadian Farmers
Lavoie Brook: for Joseph Lavoie.
Les Trois: misappelation of “les etroits”, or “the narrows” of the St. John River.
Levesque Island: for Damase Levesque
Long Lake: Descriptive. The Maliseets called it Waisquetche, meaning ‘the last’ or ‘the end’, as it is the last lake in the Fish
River chain of lakes heading northward.
Madawaska: Controversy exists over the name "Madawaska". The most common claim has been that it is derivative of
the Maliseet word for Porcupine- "Matuwehs" (or the Mi'kmaq word which is "Matues") and another word that is said to
be locative- "Kak"- for "Matuwehskak", or "Place of the Porcupine". However, the authors of the online Maliseet-
Passamaquoddy dictionary state that the word derives from the Maliseet "Matawaskiyak"-"where one river runs into
another with watergrass”, which also has a similar meaning to the Mi'kmaq word "Madawaak". Interestingly, there is a
Madawaska, Ontario, which its residents say was named after the Algonquin word for "a bay at the river junction". The
Algonquin band that lived there called themselves "Matouweskarini", meaning "the people of the river shallows".
Martin Brook: In Madawaska for Pea Martin. In Wallagrass for the Martin family.
Martins Siding: For Joseph Martin who owned land bought by the Bangor Railroad.
Michaud Hill: for Damus Michaud, OR, generally for the Michaud family who owned the land around Wallagrass Stream.
Michaud Island: for Romain Michaud, Captain (for the English) in the Aroostook War.
Michaud Mill: for Michaud family mill owners.
Michigan Settlement: named for a group of women who started a knitting business in the area and called their
Montangue Platte: descriptive, “flat mountain”.
Morin Mountain: For Joseph Marin.
Negro Brook: Named for a Black logger who drowned during a log drive.
Ouellette Brook: For Joseph Ouellette
Paradis Brook: For the Paradis family of loggers.
Perley Brook: Named after an Englishman named Pearle whose nickname was “pearley”
Petite Brook: misappelation of “Pitook Brook” named after Pitook Cyr.
Pinette Hill: named for Charles and Phydime Pinnette.
Poche D’our: Acadian for “bear pocket”.
Quaggy Joe: A mis-spelling of “quaquajo”, Abenaki meaning ‘boundary mountain” for the boundary between the Micmac
and the Malecite territories.
Regiest Daigle Brook: for Regiest Daigle.
Riviere Des Chutes: “river of falls”, however there are no falls on this brook. May have applied to the turbulence of the
spring watershed where the brook enters the St. John River
Rossignol Brook: for Honore, Fortunat, and Denis Rossignol.
St. Froid: Unlike the other place names actually named after parish patron saints, St. Froid was a surveyor’s
misunderstanding of the Frenchman Sefroi Nadeau’s first name.
St. Francis River: Was originally called Amilcungantiquake by the Maliseets, meaning “the banks of the river that abound
with meat for drying”.
St. John Brook: For a local St. John family who pronounced their name “Sin Jin”.
St. John River: named by Samual Champlain when he arrived at it’s mouth on St. John the Baptist’s Day. Called the W’
alustuk by the native Maliseets.
Savage Brook: for a soldier named Savage who remained in the area after the Aroostook War.
Savage Island: Named for Daniel Savage, initiator of lumber operations in St. John township.
Sinclair Brook: In St. John Town, named for D. Sinclair. In T14 R12 for a soldier named Sinclair who remained after the
Aroostook War. It is unknown who the town of Sinclair is named after.
Six Mile Island: Named as it is six miles from Van Buren.
Sly Brook: Descriptive of its winding course.
Soldier Pond: For the soldiers who built a temporary quarters there on the banks of the Fish River during the Aroostook
War. On Dec. 24, 1839 the quarters caught fire and two soldiers were killed.
Soucier Bog: For Fred Saucier, who had a logging operation in the area.
Square Lake: The Indians called the lake “Petquamick”, their word for “round”, however, it was at one point given the
opposite translation to “square” by les Anglais.
Thibodeau Brook: so named due to the number of Thibodeau’s living there.
Thibodeau Brook (Grand Isle): For Baptiste Thibodeau, Acadian settler 1785.
Three Mile Island: For its location 3 miles from where the Allagash meets the St. John River.
Three Mile Pond: For its location three miles from the Allagash River.
Umsaskis Lake: Maliseet for “linked together like sausage”
Van Buren: named for Martin Van Buren, U.S. President during the Aroostook War.
Violette Settlement: For the Numerous Violette families living there.
Wallagrass: Maliseet/MicMac “good river”.
Wheelock: for Walter Wheelock, early lumberman.
Yankeetuladi Brook/Pond: Blend of English “yankee” and Maliseet “tuladi” meaning tongue, OR, Maliseet for “place where
they make canoes”
Boute d'en Bas